Thursday, January 17, 2013

brownie bites: have two, they're gf & vegan

Brownie Bites

It’s been a busy week, I feel like it should be Friday already…
I have been playing catch up with my household chores since I pretty much did nothing last week. Between feeling like I was always in the car to and from the preschool or just emotionally wiped out with this BIG adjustment, I just didn’t feel like doing anything but missing my sweet boy!
So, if you’ve had a rough week {or frankly if you’ve had a great week}, what could be be better than indulging in some decadent, homemade brownies? If they are vegan and gluten-free! It makes me feel a little less guilty about the ridiculous quantity I have eaten. We are fudgy-brownie people and these are exactly that, although you can bake them a bit longer to achieve a more cake-like texture if you prefer that.

{Gluten-Free & Vegan} Brownie Bites
makes 48
1 cup garbanzo-fava bean flour
1/4 cup potato starch
2 Tbsp. arrowroot
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. xanthan gum
1 tsp. salt {I use kosher salt}
1/2 cup melted coconut oil {refined}, plus more for muffin tins
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 Tbsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cup hot water or coffee {coffee really brings out the flavor in chocolate}
1 cup vegan chocolate chips {I used the mini chips I had on hand}
Mix all the dry ingredients together. Add the 1/2 cup of oil, applesauce, vanilla and coffee. Stir until smooth. Using a rubber spatula, fold in chocolate chips until they are evenly distributed.
Use a melon baller or small scoop to add the batter evenly into the mini-muffin tins. Bake the brownies on the center rack for 10-15 minutes, turning 180 degrees half way through. Finished brownie will have firm edge with a soft center, but a toothpick should come out clean. Let brownies stand in pan for 10 minutes to cool.

***refined coconut oil gives your food a more buttery taste and no coconut flavor***

You will truly enjoy!!!

I know, here it is the new year and I should be posting about eating healthy food, right? Actually, I do have a post for tomorrow that will do just that! But, these are a little better for you since they are vegan and gluten-free. :) And a little indulgence isn’t all bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment