Tuesday, February 28, 2012

When an opportunity comes up, sometimes you’ve just got to take it

So, one of the things that came about recently that has caused me some anguish was a previous employer contacting me about coming back to the design studio part-time.
Oh my gosh, I LOVED, LOVED that job. I worked for a builder in the design studio where homeowners came in to make all their selections when building their new home. It was a dream job for me because I loved interior design (went to school for it) and new home construction, not to mention I worked with the best group of people and made a fantastic living doing something I was so passionate about. My family had been in the new home construction business for many years and it’s just in our blood! I can’t even tell you how those of us that have that gene get excited over new homes being built.
However, after the housing market crashed in 2007, I wasn’t doing much design work and was able to stay home once Reed was born. He was my priority and still is.  When I left, I told them when things picked up, I would love it if they would consider me again. Well, I guess the time has come. When I got the call, I felt like it wasn’t the ideal time at all…if I ever returned to work outside of the home, it would of been once Reed was in school. But if I didn’t pursue an opportunity when it came upon me, I might have to kiss it goodbye forever. I worried I would regret it. However, they were asking for more than what I felt comfortable giving. I held strong even if it meant losing the opportunity because as much as I used to love the job, things are different now. My priorities are totally different now as a mom. But, they gave me everything I was asking for and are being so accommodating about letting me do as much as I can from home and let’s just say, making it well worth my time, how can i not give it a shot? So, even though I had some reservations, I decided to give it a try. And, you know what, it has been pretty darn good so far. I have only done a couple Sundays so far and will be starting the couple evenings in the next week or so since I found a great sitter to come bridge the few hour gap between the time I would leave in the afternoon and Jeff getting home from work.
So, these extra hours working outside the home will definitely change things around here.  I know Jeff will help out even more than he already does. I tease him that I do everything for him…but when I really think about it, he does ALOT around here. I have some friends whose husbands expect their wives still do do everything despite them having full-time outside of the home jobs. I am so blessed to have such a wonderful, supportive husband. He has taken control of making a list of everything that needs to be done and then we can each record what has been completed so the other knows what still needs to be done so we stay on top of homekeeping tasks. I think the biggest impact will just be the home/decorating projects I had wanted to tackle, blogging or my relaxing time, but we will see how it goes.  Sometimes when you have too much time on your hands, your time-management skills are lax because you think you have all the time in the world, so now I will just have to focus my time better.

As I am adjusting to my new schedule I will be a little distant around here…but plan to be back as much as I can in the near future.


Health isn't just about what you put in your body, it's about everything around you. We bring you a full line of natural and nontoxic cleaning choices that are Safe for You, Your Home, and Your Planet® called Get Clean.
You would spend $3400 for ready to use cleaners to get the same amount of clean found in the Get Clean Starter Kit for $99 (member price).
Shaklee get clean

1 comment: