Wednesday, January 18, 2012

How something so simple…

can make life so much easier.

Mudroom shelf 025

I am not one of those people who is extremely organized by nature.   I’m not a complete scatterbrain and there are certain things/areas where I am fairly organized,  but mostly, I think I have made it this far in life by having a good memory and keeping my mess in piles so it’s “tidy”. When you can’t find something, just look in the pile. Do you know what I mean? LOL! I really want to be more organized because it thrills me when I need something, I know where it is. And, when I see beautifully organized spaces, I do get some butterflies imagining my space like that.  So why can my home not stay organized. I know, it must be because of my husband… Just kidding honey!  I am trying to incorporate lasting changes that suit my personality this year. I feel like I will get just some peace from a beautifully organized home, it’s good Feng Shui you know. So this year I am all about edit, edit, edit and organize. Can you believe I stopped into Home Goods the other day and didn’t even feel like shopping??? Nothing was exciting me. I need more home decor like a hole in my head I guess.  Don’t panic stores…I am sure this too will pass. :)

Corralling mail, keys, phones, sunglasses, etc has always been a hot mess in our laundry/mudroom. We have a bench that has always been a dumping ground and I am forever searching for where my keys are…how did they get under that pile of mail and leaving the house isn’t always a smooth process because of that. I want to set a good example for Reed on the importance of being at least somewhat organized and not the mom who is always looking for her keys.

I know this isn’t rocket science, but last fall I came up with the idea of installing a shallow shelf right when you enter from the garage….for dumping our keys and hung a wire basket above for mail. Voila. How this has changed the ease of heading out the door and kept the laundry room more tidy. We got the shelf from Ikea and the wire basket from Container Store (I actually bought the mail basket like 4 years ago when I was trying to organize, but never put it up. Lovely!) I shopped the house for a bowl and a tray to corral each of our items separately. It has been working out beautifully.

Mudroom shelf 022

What little changes have you made around the house that has helped you stay organized?



banner_WeightManagement (1)

No comments:

Post a Comment