Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Don’t knock it till you try it

veggie burgers, that is.
I remember turning my nose up at the idea of a meatless “burger” not too long ago. A couple years ago, I took the plunge and made greek-style quinoa burgers.

quinoa burger
They were delicious and have become a regular in my meal planning (for either lunch or dinner). I recently came across another meatless burger-chickpea brown rice veggie burgers. I made them last weekend with roasted winter vegetables. Dinner was a hit! I was especially giddy that Reed loves them because I really like to find alternative ways to give him protein. I have always pushed the envelope with him to try new things and more times than not he likes them. I had HORRIBLE eating habits as a child, and quite frankly they didn’t get much better until recently. I wanted better for Reed. I think by him having food allergies, it has forced me to think outside the box more and be willing to try these less traditional recipes. These burgers couldn’t be better for you and they are D-lish!

veggit-burger-mbd108052_vert
(we opted to put the burgers on toasted whole wheat buns instead and just piled the veggies on top of the patty like you would a meat burger; we just cut Reed’s up since he’s only 2)

winter-vegetables-cannellini-mbd108052_vert
(I omitted the beans since we were eating this just as a side but this would make a great lunch with the beans and I varied the veggies to what I had in the house-leeks, garlic, carrots, sweet potatoes and frozen asparagus)

I hope you give one (or both) a try. I think you will be pleasantly surprised as I was!


banner_Nutrition

No comments:

Post a Comment