Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Quick Summer Pillows

Yes, I know it does seem silly to do a post about making summer pillows when it’s about halfway through summer(although summer weather didn’t seem to start here until July)…I just remembered that I did this project a little over a month ago and with all the party planning and guests we have had, it totally slipped my mind to post about it. Not to mention the pillows I originally bought to go with these hand made pillows didn’t work out so I wasn’t completely pleased with the final look of the sofa. Then when I wasn't even looking for pillow covers, I stumbled across them in the exact green I was looking for when I was at Crate & Barrel on clearance. YEAH!
I generally prefer a more subdued color scheme-but this summer I just have a thing for the citrus green I am seeing out there. I was craving some new summer pillows and when I saw this fabric at Joann-I knew I had a new project to do. I am by no means a skilled sewer-but I do a solid job with basic sewing. It took me about 3 hours for both pillows including the time consuming hand-stitch at the end to close the pillow up. I was able to get this done at naptime. I love quick projects like this!
I wanted a 1/2 inch seam allowance all the way around, so I cut my fabric out 18” x 18”. After I take my measurements, I pin and then iron a crease so I have a straight line to cut (I am the worst cutter without a guide).
Blog Pictures-Summer Pillows 002
after the front and backs are cut, I pin and sew all the way around leaving about a 10inch opening to put in the pillow form.
Blog Pictures-Summer Pillows 013
I cut the corners so they are crisp once you turn the pillow right-side out
Blog Pictures-Summer Pillows 008
I iron once I turn the pillow right-side out and poke out the corners(you can use a craft bone folder to get a good crisp corner, too) and fold down the opening 1/2 inch and iron and then insert the pillow.
Blog Pictures-Summer Pillows 010
Then turn on your favorite program and start hand-sewing the opening shut…(it was a good excuse to watch some tv; I have hardly been watching any lately as part of my goal to get more accomplished). I came across this saying recently, “if you feel like you don’t have enough time to get things done, stop watching tv and you will be amazed at how much more time you have”. I didn’t think I had been watching much, but even if it was just an hour or so a day, I’d rather spend it doing something I consider enjoyable and maybe check off some of those decorating projects I wish to complete but just never have the "time" for…
Blog Pictures-Summer Pillows 017
Voila..(the green pillows are the ones I got a deal on at Crate & Barrel)
Blog Pics 005
I hope this inspires you to make quick updates to your home. You will be so satisfied when you are able to whip up a couple pillows to freshen up your sofa, bed, etc. What’s also great is that you don’t have to spend a lot, so you can change it up seasonally if you want. I had these pillow forms from other pillows I had made that I tired of. If you don’t have extra pillow forms, you can find some polyfilled ones at Joann or Hobby Lobby or for down filled, Calico Corners, Potterybarn, or Company Store online. If you are a more skilled sewer, you could put a zipper in and just switch out the covers…hmmm, I think I am going to challenge myself to do that on my next pillows. It saves on pillow forms which is both kinds of “green”. Smile

No comments:

Post a Comment